Monday, November 12, 2012

Egg #1: What I Don't Even

I can't even believe that I'm starting off the project with the surprise I found in Day #1's egg. I mean; we bought the German ones because they have a lot more weird toys than the North American ones but I was not prepared for this.

No, I did not pick and choose through the eggs looking for a fantastic (?) one to start things off with. What I do is stick my hand in the box, wiggle it around and grab an egg at random. And this… this is what I picked for Day One:


Das Grosse Palaver. Are they racist? They feel racist. I'M PRETTY SURE IT'S RACIST. The paper that came with it depicts two super-happy blonde kids enjoying their decapitated Indigenous North American head finger puppets. I strongly suspect these are not respectful or faithful depictions, either. These appear to be from 1997 but COME ON, that wasn't that long ago.


This one is different from the other three in that you're supposed to stick your finger out in front of you rather than hold it upright. I'm not sure why. The head is made of hard plastic and is very loose so it just slips off as soon as I wiggle my finger. 'Indianer Kleiner bider', as this one is called, appears to translate as 'Indian Small beaver' according to Google Translate (which I will be referring to often throughout the project to assist with the German.)

For enlightenment you could follow N8V Appropriations on Twitter or check out their website at nativeappropriations.blogspot.com.

2 comments: