Thursday, January 24, 2013

Egg #74: Sometimes Boredom Is Also The Mother Of Invention

Egg #74 is ANOTHER BUGSACTION BUG. SO BORING.

Sorry, BugsAction bugs. It's just really hard to make you sound interesting or fresh. You're all exactly the same except for colour and bug type. I like to think I'm a creative person but how many ways are there to say 'spinning top shaped like a bug'?


This is Skraus, for what it's worth, and he's a member of Team Blau (Blue.) I'm not very sure of what sort of bug he is supposed to be. He kind of looks like he has a camo pattern so maybe some kind of leaf bug. I don't know.


This is where a lengthy blurb about each character would make things a lot more fun. The Painty Ten would be just as boring as these battle tops but I look forward to them because of their bizarre character profiles and backstories.


Luckily I have another Kinder capsule craft to liven things up a little. This time it's not something I found online; it's just an idea I had while playing around with wire. (Look below the pictures for an explanation.)





Look at these guys! Kinder capsule birds. Their wings are even pieces from a Kinder toy that Essie has gotten umpteen of. They're little plastic blades from spinning tops. The tops work really well but she has so many of them that it wasn't a big deal for me to cannibalize one for these little birdie wings.

Here's a quick rundown on how I made them.

1. Drill two small holes in the bottom of your kinder capsule. I used my Dremel. It's possible you could use a hand drill or even melt holes but I haven't tried.

2. Cut a length of wire. You want to allow for the feet since you're going to be bending each end of the wire three times to make the bird toes so make sure you take them into account when deciding on the length of the legs. Bend the wire in the middle to approximately the shape and size of the top of the capsule and insert it inside the capsule down through the drilled holes. Make certain the wire is of equal lengths on either side for step #4.

3. Stuff the interior of the capsule with scrap paper or tissue or whatever you want to use to fill it. The idea here is to stabilize the wire and hold it tight inside against the top so it doesn't wiggle and slide around. Close the capsule.

4. Shape the bird's feet. It's easier to do this if you have wire working tools on hand but if you don't just make sure you use a wire that's soft enough to not kill your hands. I don't remember what gauge this stuff is, sorry. Just start at the end of the wire and bend it back at the length you think the toe should be. Repeat this two more times and you have three toes. Do it again for the other foot and if you've been careful to keep the toes all the same length you should have two legs of mostly equal length. Fiddle with the feet until the toes are pointing in the directions you want and bend them out so that your bird can stand.

5. Glue the wings on with hot glue wherever you think they'll look cute. You can use anything for wings. I have plans to make some cuter cardboard wings; I just thought it was fitting to use these since they were from a Kinder toy and all. The glue will show but if you don't go overboard it's fine. It's translucent so isn't too noticeable.

6. Draw on a cute little bird face. You are done!

I'm going to make a tutorial with pictures for this soon.

No comments:

Post a Comment